The Director of R&D will be responsible for building LiquidStack’s Research and Development team, architecting and managing a technical laboratory to help develop LiquidStack’s next generation of technology and solutions. This individual will identify key R&D priorities and manage respective projects. The successful candidate will instrument processes and methods to manage the R&D team while successfully building prototypes and product specifications with high quality standards; recommend and implement improvements to processes, methods, and controls. The Director of R&D will have an excellent knowledge of thermal and/or mechanical engineering and a wealth of continuous improvement experience. This individual is required to have a ‘can do’ and open-minded attitude to engage LiquidStack’s team members and implement strategic changes that better enable the company for success in an ever-changing business environment. This individual will learn about a variety of new technologies which can shape the data center industry for decades to come. We are looking for a driven Director of R&D who is passionate about their profession and wants to be a team leader for one of the world’s global leaders in liquid cooling for data centers, edge, and high-performance computing.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Accesses technical labor pools to hire, develop and manage R&D team, including onboarding and training, in concert with Human Resources.
- Leads Research and Development for LiquidStack, implementing standard methodologies for innovation while establishing and maintaining the R&D budget.
- Reviews initial technology related concepts of operations/employment, techniques tactics and procedures, tables of organization and equipment.
- Responsible for developing & supervising R&D plans for the group, ensuring projects are completed on time and within budget, according to strategic plans and roadmap.
- Works closely with cross-functional teams to ensure alignment and prioritization around roadmap, product development & budgets.
- Collaborates internally with engineering team, product management to ensure joint research programs are progressing.
- Coordination of prototype/beta builds as well as approving and overseeing test equipment.
- Improves design processes and methods for cost reduction, quality improvement, safety, and efficiency.
- Helps migrate new technology and prototypes to/through engineering completion and industrialization for manufacturing.
- Conducts assessments and analysis of various technologies to determine their operational significance, key performance parameters, key system attributes, future development potential, and prioritizes key initiatives accordingly.
- Represents R&D in the product development process, aiding to establish project goals and achievements, including R&D prioritization.
- Establishes a productive R&D culture that is highly motivated and accountable, with a customer focus on innovation, quality and improving the user experience.
- Ability to look at the department from a strategic standpoint and work towards long term departmental goals on top of daily operations.
- Supervises the R&D team, making sure objectives are set and measured.
- Leads the drafting and presentation of R&D reports and occasional scientific papers.
- Represents the department around IP discussions & IP lifecycle management with LiquidStack’s Legal department.
- Attends events, seminars, exhibitions, and speaker series relevant to LiquidStack’s market applications and technology.
- Acts in a manner consistent with LiquidStack’s core values and according to LiquidStack’s Code of Business Conduct and Ethical Behavior.
- Complies with standards and procedures of LiquidStack’s health and safety manual and Occupational Health and Safety regulations.
Specific Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical, Electrical, Industrial or Manufacturing Engineering, Master’s degree is preferred.
- At least 10 years’ experience in R&D and engineering within a laboratory environment, of which at least 5 years in a managerial position of a team of 5 plus members.
- Experience servicing Data Center customers and Cooling processes is a strong asset.
- Experience managing multi-disciplinary engineers i.e. HVAC/Thermal, Mechanical and/or electronics engineering.
- Strong, methodical R&D approach and quality systems knowledge (ISO 9001, Lean Six Sigma, Kaizen/Continuous Improvement, DFMEA, etc.).
- Must have excellent planning, organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills with a demonstrable customer focus and appreciation.
- Able to prioritize competing tasks and maintaining critical deadlines, paired with strong work ethics.
- Multicultural approach, comfortable working with diverse cultures and mind-sets, strong interpersonal skills to build good relationships across departments and with customers.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, especially the ability to structure and simplify complex technical communications (verbal & written).
- Knowledge in MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint is required; generally tech savvy.
- Familiarity with thermal simulation or CFD software is an asset.
Special Conditions of Employment
- Willingness and ability to travel domestically or internationally up to 20% of the time.
- Valid passport & driver’s license with no infractions that would limit ability to travel.
- LiquidStack is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We encourage and are pleased to consider all qualified candidates, without regard to race, color, citizenship, religion, sex, marital / family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, aboriginal status, age, disability or persons who may require an accommodation, to apply.
To apply for this position, please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.