Reporting to the Chief Technical Officer of LiquidStack, develops and implements optimal, cost-effective design and build processes and methods to manage the engineering team in successful building of mechanical prototypes and product specifications with quality standards; recommends and implements improvements to production processes, methods, and controls. The Senior Engineering Manager will have an excellent knowledge base of quality principles and a wealth of continuous improvement experience. The person is required to have ‘can do’ attitude to engage the team and implement strategic changes to better enable the department in an ever-changing business environment. You will learn about a variety of new technologies which can shape the data center industry for decades to come. We are looking for a driven Senior Engineering Manager who is passionate about his/her profession and wants to be a team leader on one of the world’s global leaders in liquid cooling for data centers, edge, and high-performance computing.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Manages engineering team to ensure new projects are within targets in costing, quality, and deliverables.
• Responsible for supporting the professional goals and development opportunities for the entire engineering team including providing coaching and mentoring, one-on-one meetings and reviewing each engineer’s progress in correlation with the Company’s Performance Management program.
• Carries out process improvement, problem resolution and project management.
• Manages multiple projects under time pressures.
• Participates in the annual budget development process and responsible for expense approvals based on authority matrix and delegation.
• Manages onboarding and training of new engineering team members with ongoing training focused on continuous improvement.
• Liaises and provides customer resolutions through responsive, customer focus and effective methods.
• Improves design and production processes and methods for cost-reduction, quality improvement, safety, and efficiency.
• Prepares and presents plans for the above and coordinates deployment including training of team members, managing change through effective communications and methods.
• Delivers through a comprehensive, systematic, and documented approach including reporting requirements.
• Responsible for approving and overseeing the design of production processes and test equipment.
• Coordination of prototype/beta builds.
• Represents engineering team on cross-functional teams’ collaboration.
• Proactively escalates potential issues to minimize safety, quality, delivery issues and operational inefficiencies.
• Establishes and maintains strong relationships with the global LiquidStack team.
• Ability to look at the department from a strategic standpoint and work towards long term departmental goals on top of daily operations.
• To be an ambassador for quality principles as well as developing a culture of ‘standard work’.
• Acts in a manner consistent with LiquidStack’s core values and according to LiquidStack’s Code of Business Conduct and Ethical Behavior
• Complies with standards and procedures of LiquidStack’s health and safety manual and Occupational Health and Safety regulations
SPECIFIC KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical, Electrical, Industrial or Manufacturing Engineering, Master’s degree is preferred
• At least 10 years’ experience in engineering and project management within an industrial environment, of which at least 5 years in a managerial position of a team of 8 plus members
• Experience servicing Data Center customers and Cooling processes is a strong asset
• Experience in managing multi-disciplinary engineers ie. HVAC/Thermal, Mechanical and/or electronics engineering is a strong asset
• Strong quality systems knowledge (ISO 9001, Lean Six Sigma, Kaizen/Continuous Improvement, FMEA, etc.)
• Self-starter that will be hands-on and work independently and in a team
• Must have strong planning, organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills with a strong customer focus and appreciation
• Able to prioritize competing tasks and maintaining critical deadlines, paired with strong work ethics
• Attention to detail with the ability to see the bigger picture
• Multicultural approach, comfortable working with diverse cultures and mind-sets, strong interpersonal skills to build good relationships across departments and with customers
• Appreciation to work in a global organization with teammates in different time zones/regions
• Excellent communication, especially the ability to structure and simplify complex technical communications (verbal & written)
• Fluency in English and Cantonese, some Mandarin is an advantage
• Knowledge in MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint is required; generally tech savvy
• Familiar with SolidWorks or equivalent 3D software is an asset
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
• Willingness and ability to travel domestically up to 25% of the time, with some international travel possible.
• Valid passport & driver’s license with no infractions that would limit ability to travel.